10 knitterly things you probably didn't know about me, a meme by Grumperina
1. I swatch. I knit 'em big with multiple needle sizes, I wash and block them, I knit them in the round if need be, I record my findings in a spreadsheet should I need to get that gauge with that yarn again. I don't really understand knitters who don't do this, they must be more tolerant of grand failure than I am. I know this means that I'm not a free spirit, I don't throw caution to the wind but I have yet to have a monumental knitting disaster. Seems to me that if I'm going to spend the time and cash you ought to get a predictable outcome. This is not to say that I've not knit things that I regret but I have yet to have something that didn't fit, ugly or not.
2. I am a terrible KALer, I have a hard enough time posting here a lot of the time that an additional blog to post at seems daunting. Saying that though I do join them pretty regularly. I am trying to get better but it's taking some work.
3. I take a "wait and see" approach to most new patterns. I hate how the knitting mags pose projects on models standing at odd angles, with so much going on in the pic that I can't really see what the garment really looks like. So I wait and see when they start to appear in blogland then make up my mind if it's something I really want to knit. Examples are Forecast and my Jaywalkers.
4. I knit almost exclusively for myself. If you've recieved a knit from me you're in a very exclusive group and I must love you a lot. I'm the only one that fully appreciates the time that goes into my knits, who's willing to try something on 87 times and who doesn't expect it to be done tomorrow. I do actually feel badly about this and really am trying to remedy it.
5. I hate superwash. I know it's great for kids stuff and for projects that will see multiple washings but it knits weird and does funny things in a bath. I am trying to improve our relationship though by knitting for M with it. I do so love it for socks though.
6. I couldn't knit without the internet. I stalk blogs, cruise the Knittyboard, fantasy shop for yarn (put a bunch of stuff in a virtual shopping cart then log off before actually ordering anything) and find help. I was taught to knit and purl by my Aunt, the rest is the internet's doing.
7. I crave blog comments. I think this explains #2, more posts on more blogs equal more comments. I know nobody reads my ramblings over here with any regularity so the odd comment here and there totally makes my day (that's a hint btw).
8. I am obsessed with fair isle. I haven't really knit much of it yet as I'm afraid that it will be my first collossal knitting failure, but it's my goal to make a Dale; that to me is like the holy grail of knitting, once I've done that I'll be a K
nitter. I'm in love with Eunny Jang's FI projects and will maybe someday muster up the cahones to try one (namely the pullover in the upcoming winter IK).
9. I love knitting in the round and will do just about anything to convert a pattern to knit this way. I love a seamless construction and anything knit in one piece. I love my circs and dpns but can't stand either ML or 2 circs. I have it in my head that I can knit Klaralund all in the round, watch for that.
10. I can count on one hand the number of days in the last year that I've not knit, two. Even if it's only a few stitches here and there, I knit everyday.