SP7 starts at the end of the week and I'm getting excited!
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? I’ll have to admit that I am. I prefer natural fibers to man-mades but I don’t have to have the most expensive thing either (I loooove Knitpicks). A nice basic all purpose yarn is great no matter what natural fiber it is.
2. Do you spin? Crochet? I can
crochet but haven’t in years and don’t have any projects planned. I’m learning to spin with a drop spindle.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a roll up case for my dpn’s, my few straights and my addi collection are in large ziplock bags.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I leared to knit about twenty years ago but have just come back to it in a serious way in the last two years. I’d say I’m intermediate to advanced and I’m always trying new things to try and improve my skills. Luckily being on maternity leave gives me lots of time to work on it.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I like vanilla and spicy sort of scents.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Any sort of junk food is wonderful, I’d love to say I’m not a junk eater but it would be a total lie. Any candy is good candy.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I'm almost finished a patchwork quilt for my son but I don't see myself doing another one anytime soon.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) It’s probably easier to say that I don’t like country or Opera, other than that I’ll listen to it. Our cd collection is very diverse. Yes, I can play MP3s.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? My favorite colour is green like my eyes but I love any intense or vibrant (read: non-pastel) colours, earth and natural tones are great too. I really don’t like yellow much.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I’m married with a six month old son. No pets.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes, yes, yes and no.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? My current fav is Artyarns followed closely by Koigu and Noro. I use a lot of vareigated yarns.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? The more I work with it the less I like superwash wool, acrylics.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Basically just knitting in general. I’ll go through a sock phase, then a scarf phase then I’ll knit baby clothes intensely for a while, then lace…. I have knitting ADD.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I’m really loving lace and socks right now.
17. What are you knitting right now? The flower basket shawl from Fall 2004 Interweave and the backyard leaves scarf from Scarf Style among other smaller projects.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I love being given something someone spent their time on, to me that is the ultimate expression of caring.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? I mostly work with circs (I’m building an Addi collection) but I find them a bit too fast for lace work so I want to start getting some bamboo circs. Dpn’s are cool too.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I prefer bamboo and aluminum.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Both.
22. How did you learn to knit? My aunt Val taught me to knit and purl when I was about seven or eight but I hadn’t knit in years, I picked it back up when I was pregnant and have taught myself tons with books and knittinghelp.com.
23. How old is your oldest UFO? Thanks to the WIP along blog it’s only about 3 months old, a cardigan for myself in Manos del Uruguay. The girls have encouraged me to clear the backlog a fair bit.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Monkeys!
25. What is your favorite holiday? I’m a Christmas person, I love giving gifts.
26. Is there anything that you collect? Clay Chinese teapots, it’s a staple Christmas and brithday gift from my husband every year and I so look forward to them.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I get Interweave Knits but I usually buy Vogue and Spin-Off from the newstand.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Any lace books or stitch dictionary sort of books, I drool over them in my LYS. I’d love to try SWTC’s soy silk or anything from Alchemy, I can’t seem to find them anywhere local. I love Fibertrends lace patterns too. I'm longing to try Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace, maybe with my income tax refund....
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I’d like to get better at Fair Isle and try a steeked sweater.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I love knitting socks but I like to do them with great dk and worsted yarns for cozy warm feet. I wear a European shoe size 39.5.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) December 12th.